Interior & Exterior Painting
Everything you need to know about interior painting
Quick tips to think about before deciding to commit to DIY
- Choose the right paint: Consider the finish, color, and quality of the paint. Flat and matte finishes are great for hiding imperfections, while semi-gloss and gloss finishes are easy to clean. Quality paint will last longer and provide better coverage.
- Prepare the room: Remove furniture and cover floors and fixtures to protect them from paint splatters. Clean walls and patch any holes or cracks. Sand down rough spots and use painter’s tape to protect trim and edges.
- Use the right tools: Invest in high-quality brushes, rollers, and paint trays. Use a paint sprayer for larger projects, but be sure to protect surrounding areas from overspray.
- Apply paint correctly: Start with a coat of primer to help the paint adhere properly. Apply the paint in thin, even coats, and allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next. Use a brush for corners and edges, and a roller for larger surfaces.
- Clean up properly: Clean brushes and rollers with soap and warm water. Dispose of leftover paint properly, and recycle empty cans.
What type of sheen you should use
The type of paint sheen you should use depends on the surface you are painting. For high traffic areas like hallways, bathrooms and kitchens, use a semi-gloss or satin sheen for easy cleaning. For walls with imperfections, use a flat or matte sheen to hide flaws. For exterior surfaces, use a satin or eggshell sheen for durability and resistance to weather. For trim and doors, use a gloss or high-gloss sheen for a smooth and glossy finish. Always consider the function and style of the space when choosing a paint sheen.
Using paint sheens is important in interior decorating because they can affect the overall look and feel of a room. Different sheens have different properties, such as durability, washability, and reflectivity. Choosing the right paint sheen can enhance the visual appeal of a room and also improve its functionality.
Choosing the right color for the lighting
Choosing the right paint colors for the lighting in your home is important to create a cohesive and inviting atmosphere. Different types of lighting can change the look and feel of a color, so it’s important to consider the type of lighting you have in each room. For example, warm lighting may make a color appear more yellow or orange, while cool lighting may make a color appear more blue or green. It’s also important to consider the natural light that enters the room, as this can affect how a color appears throughout the day.
When selecting paint colors, it’s helpful to have a color palette in mind. Consider the overall style and mood you want to create in each room. Neutral colors like beige, gray, and white can create a calm and timeless atmosphere. Bold colors like red, blue, or green can add energy and personality to a room. It’s also important to consider the other colors in the room, such as furniture and décor, to ensure that the paint color complements the overall look and feel of the space. By taking into consideration the lighting and color palette, you can choose the perfect paint color to create a beautiful and cohesive home.
You should always choose paint samples to bring home and try out in your own space where the lighting will show the true color you decide to use in your home. Determining a color based off of how it looks in a commercial space with bright lighting and an open, reflective space may not provide you with the best look and feel in your home. Many paint companies offer paint sample stickers, small paint sample jars to use on your walls, or swatches. Whichever method you choose, look at the color in the room it will be going in to make sure the lighting and the paint work together to give you the right experience.
Safety when painting
- Ventilate the area by opening windows and using a fan.
- Wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a mask.
- Keep paint away from flames or sparks.
- Use a sturdy ladder and have a partner help when painting high areas.
- Keep children and pets away from the painting area.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for proper use and disposal of paint and materials.
- Take breaks to avoid overexertion or fatigue.
- Store paint and materials properly to avoid spills or leaks.
What to look for in a painting contractor
When choosing a painting contractor, it’s important to look for someone who is experienced and insured. You should also check their references and portfolio of past work to ensure that they have a proven track record of quality workmanship. It’s also a good idea to ask about their process for preparing surfaces, the types of products they use, and their cleanup procedures. Finally, make sure to get a detailed written estimate and contract that outlines the scope of work, timeline, and payment schedule.
And ﬁnally, if you’re conﬁdent in your abilities, we are here to answer any questions you have along the way! If you ﬁnd yourself overwhelmed by the thought, our painting service is a “budget-matching” and “price-matching” service! We are happy to work with you on achieving your interior painting dreams at a rate you’re comfortable with.